Sunday, August 22, 2010

More Summer Blooms!

a drunken buttterfly dancing away the summer day. The heat has let up a bit and the rains have helped tremendously to create jungle growth. I forgot how simple zinnias are,  and how much they attract butterflies, I have never seen so many of them.  The bright colors of the flowers define the essence of summer.
Bright lemon yellow impatiens "Fusion Yellow". I have not seen too many yellow impatiens, especially of this depth of color. They make a great underplanting to many tropicals and summer plants.
The beautiful fragrant blooms of  'X amarcrinum' , a cross between an amaryllis and a crinum lily, hardy to zone 6 or so.
I 1st saw  these a few years ago in a friends garden and was surprised how hardy and prolific they are. He had them in bloom in June and to my surprise I went back n early November and they still had bloom stalks with flowers opening!

As the days begin to shorten a bit, the tropicals seem to grow even faster and bigger. I love this time of year.

3 comments:

  1. Just browse through the photos in your blog. They are all very beautiful. How do you know that butterfly is drunk? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you're doing in your garden and look forward to following your progress. We're just starting to head into our warmer months here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete