Sunday, November 21, 2010

It's Sugar Cane Harvest at Boca Cay !

Just harvested my sugar cane yesterday (November 20) and boy is it good. I have a variety from Brian Williams- forgot the name.

I cut the canes yesterday and cut them up to chew on. Boy is it good!

Who else in Maryland can say they grew and harvested  their own sugar cane crop?

After I cut off the biggest canes, I dug and potted the plant to overwinter inside for a good crop next year.

My plant got over 6' high this summer with 3 stalks.

This is the last remnant of my tropicals in my garden for this year.

Will Giles top that one! hahaha





Boca Joe

4 comments:

  1. Allo my dear geezer – when I’m in the Caribbean I will get some of that there sugar cane stuff and chew it thinking of my Americano pal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOH! I need to grow some - nothing nicer to stir a drink with on a hot summer night then a piece of fresh sugar cane stalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi i am new here, but i like your simulation of our tropics, haha! Good enough. What will you do with your sugarcane harvest? I remember when we were kids we have a clump of those red stemmed canes, and we sip the sweet sap by munching them with our teeth and we had tremendous fun. These days i dont see that cane anymore, what we have are the hard fiber species, or yellow-green canes, which are used to make sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr American person geezer chap – Just back from roasting in the Caribbean - Never got round to chewing any sugarcane though I did drink an awful lot of rum distilled from the stuff!

    ReplyDelete